Saturday, November 8, 2008

Euphoria In New York

I have been to New York several times, for business purposes and I have never seen the general euphoria caused by Barak Obama winning the elections. Especially black people were so happy, some of them with tears in their eyes. I was very surprised to realize that this man, who now is the elected President of the United States and who gives speeches like a preacher, reminding me of Martin Luther King, holds the hopes of so many, that I am somehow scared. Now the campaign is over, promises will have to be fulfilled and delivered, peoples´expectations are so high that I think it is dangerous. One man cannot fix a whole nation and an economy so deeply damaged by eight years of stupidity and war. On the other hand, it is good to believe, it is important for people -regardless the colour of their skin- to have hope and keep going. I am happy for the people, I am expectant, just like the rest of the world and I definitely wish Mr. Obama the best of luck, for the sake of Americans and the rest of the world. Let´s share New Yorkers euphoria and happiness, at least for once!

No comments: